Brothers of the Sacred Heart
The Brothers of the Sacred Heart is a religious congregation of men founded by Andre’ Coindre, a diocesan priest, in Lyon, France, in 1821. Their mission is the evangelization of young people, especially through the ministry of education.
BROTHERS ON FACULTY
Br. Ray Hebert, S.C.
Br. Clifford King
Initially, the brothers’ new community went through very difficult times, but by 1847 it had grown and prospered to the point that five missionary brothers were sent to the United States at the request of the first bishop of Mobile, Alabama. The arrival of the brothers in America in 1847 signaled the beginning of the transformation of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart from a strictly French congregation into a worldwide institution made up of many nationalities.
The brothers’ work did not remain limited to Mobile for very long. In 1854, they established St. Stanislaus College in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, and in 1869, St. Aloysius College in New Orleans. Continued expansion resulted in establishment of schools and orphanages in several Midwestern states, in the south and southeastern United States, as well as in New York, New England, and Canada. In 1894, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart established a school in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, which has become known as Catholic High School.
On July 1, 2014, the New Orleans, New England, and New York Provinces of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart merged to form a new entity, the Province of the United States. As stated in the decree from the Brothers’ Provincial Superior in Council, Brother Mark Hilton, S.C., “the provinces of the United States share a rich history of collaboration in religious life formation, Catholic education, vocation ministry, and the formation of Brothers and partners in mission within the charism of our founder Father André Coindre”.
Brothers of the Sacred Heart Schools
- Andre Coindre Youth Resource Center – Davao City
- Bishop Guertin High School – Nashua, NH
- Brother Martin High School – New Orleans, LA
- Catholic High School – Baton Rouge, LA
- Cor Jesu College – Digos City, Philippines
- E.D. White Catholic High School – Thibodaux, LA
- Msgr. McClancy High School – East Elmhurst, NY
- Mount Saint Charles Academy – Woonsocket, RI
- Sacred Heart Spirituality Center – Davao City
- Saint Anne Mission – Klagetoh, AZ (Diocese of Gallup)
- Saint Columba’s College – Saint Albans, UK
- St. Joseph High School – Metuchen, NJ
- St. Stanislaus College – Bay St Louis, MS
- Vandebilt Catholic High School – Houma, LA